Devine and Taylor Reach 1,000-Point Milestone; Hawk Men's Basketball Falls to Mount Saint Mary in OT, 83-81

More news about: SUNY New Paltz

NEW PALTZ, N.Y. – Senior forward Matt Devine (Manalapan, N.J./Freehold Township) and senior guard/forward Shereef Taylor (Hyde Park, N.Y./Franklin D. Roosevelt) each surpassed the 1,000-point career milestone as the State University of New York at New Paltz men's basketball team (1-2) fell in overtime to non-conference Mount Saint Mary College (2-1), 83-81, in the 2012-13 home opener at the Hawk Center Tuesday evening. This marks the first time in program history that teammates surpassed 1,000 points in the same game.
Devine and Taylor needed seven and 17 points, respectively, to reach the 1,000-point landmark. Devine finished the evening with 24 points, pushing his career total to 1,017, while Taylor picked up 25 to reach 1,008. Devine added 10 rebounds to his stat line, which is good for his second-straight double-double. Taylor pulled down seven boards of his own and stole the ball four times.
The Hawks brought a 39-23 lead into the half after shooting 50 percent from the field in the first stanza. The visiting Knights chipped away at the lead early in the second half, cutting the deficit to single digits in the first three minutes. Joe Stabach drained a three-pointer at the 14:17 mark to knot the game up 45, but New Paltz then rallied back with a 12-2 run to take a 57-47 lead with under 10 minutes remaining.
The Hawks' lead grew to 11 at the 7:34 mark when Devine nailed a jumper in the paint, but the Knights started to fight back once again. Devine sunk a layup to push the lead to six, but Donte Howell was good from beyond the arc to cut the lead in half with 22 seconds remaining. Devine missed the front end of a one-and-one with 15 seconds to go, and the Knights quickly got the ball down the court to Lenny Ragaglia, who made the game-tying three with 10 seconds left on the clock to push the game into overtime.
New Paltz jumped out to a quick two-point lead in the extra period, but the Knights stormed back with a 7-0 stretch to take a 78-73 lead at the 1:03 mark. A good free throw from Howell with 19 ticks remaining pushed the Mount Saint Mary lead to six before Taylor hit from downtown to cut the difference back to three with two seconds on the clock. Forced to foul, the Hawks sent Stabach to the line without losing any time, but he succeeded on both shots to ice the game. Devine followed with a buzzer-beating three-pointer, but it was not enough to overcome the five-point deficit.
Howell led the Knights with 25 points on the evening, which was helped by an 11-for-22 line from the stripe. Stabach followed with 20 points and nine rebounds, while Joe Henain scored 12 and grabbed 14 rebounds for a double-double.
Freshman forward Deveino McRae (Bronx, N.Y./Archbishop Stepinac) scored 10 points in his first game at the Hawk Center, while freshman guard Andrew Joseph (Brooklyn, N.Y./High School of Art and Design) added seven points and 13 rebounds.
The Hawks return to action on Tuesday, November 27, for a non-conference matchup with cross-river rival Vassar College. Tip-off is slated for 7 p.m. from Poughkeepsie, N.Y.